themagdalenespirit

My prolific musings on life, faith, and The Box of Life (television)

Monday, October 10, 2005

X-ing MaryJane's

“So when you need a little peace of mind…
…come on over, boy, any time…”


Ok, I love the Mary Jane Girls, but I still gave them a one-star rating on my personalized Yahoo station. The reason is that “In My House” gets played on the radio pretty frequently and I can’t afford to “waste” my free listening time that way. I know it’s pretty treacherous but oh well. I hope Rick James forgives me! I did freak him, after all!

Likewise I would not allow Bon Jovi to be played unless it’s their old stuff that never gets radio play (any song from their 1985 sophomore effort is good). I have also banned anything from Metallica after 1988. That stuff bites! I like to blend the old with the new as far as artists who have been around a long time but with Metallica, forget it! They totally changed their sound and it wasn’t “progress” as far as I’m concerned. I think that Bon Jovi, though they hit their peak in ’88, was better in the mid-80s. They may not have had a finely-honed commercial sound but their songs were more heartsy.

I programmed the station to play a lot of underground and indie stuff because I can't afford to buy all that music myself and they don't play it on the radio. So all my Top 40-type music (including hip hop) I just listen to in the car. But the 80s metal doesn't get much airplay anymore so that's why it's also a big part of my station.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger RV3 said…

    If I had an internet "playlist," it would include: Kate Bush, AC/DC, Camilo Sesto, Stereolab, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Bjork, New Order, Pavement, Nina Simone, and Bossa Nova classics.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    I got that covered, baby. (Except Camilo Sesto)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home