themagdalenespirit

My prolific musings on life, faith, and The Box of Life (television)

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day Off

I have the day off today because I worked Saturday. It probably won't sound much like "work" when I tell you that it was a picnic in the park, literally. Starting last year, the agency has been having a picnic in the park for the foster parents and children and this year we even had a jumpy obstacle course. We also had burgers and hot dogs but for the second year in a row (I don't know if I'll be able to get away with it much longer!) I signed up for Bathroom Duty. Last year I was there along with an elderly social worker who used to work out of a different office but she's been at my home office for quite a few months now. Anyway, we station ourselves by the bathrooms to make sure child molesters don't go into the bathrooms to try anything.


Last year, being stationed there with this woman (we'll call her Diane) created for me one of the best memories of my life. It was wonderful! She's 72 and she's funny and tells great stories. I won't go into details because it was work related but I had such a great time! We should really treasure the elderly.


I wanted to write about joining the gym again. I haven't gone to the gym since Bally's didn't re-offer me their special $67 for the whole year membership. I got mad and worked out at home instead. I used DVDs, from aerobics to the giant ball to pilates. But then I bought a Gazelle (pictured). I got one brand new for $91 but a co-worker said she'd sell me hers for $45 so I returned the brand new one. Anyway, it's pretty good. But guess what- I found something better! Curves gym is doing a fitness study along with Avon and for $30 you sign up to go faithfully three times a week for a month. The best thing is they do circuit training using hydraulic resistance-training machines. They also give you a card to swipe on each machine so you can track your results at the end. You are supposed to "Go for Green", which is the color on the machine if you're trying your best. You stay on each machine for like 30 seconds, then move on to the next one. You go twice around the circuit and in half an hour, you get a great workout. They also have a stretching area in the center which is great because stretching after a workout gives you a 28% better workout. Also, they use appointments so it motivates you to go. Bally's would be a lot cheaper- about $9 a month! And Curves is like $49 a month but maybe people in the study get a discount (I haven't verified that but it might be $28 a month). Still, my body is changing and this appears to be a better stystem. Bally's is always crowded, I don't get to train all my muscles, and all I do is run on a treadmill. Not worth it, don't you think?

4 Comments:

  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger RV3 said…

    You go girl!!! Circuit training sounds cool.

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger lucy4 said…

    Curves worked better for my mom than Bally's. We had Bally's in Cali but never went. Then again we have gym membership here too but don't go. I am starting to think it's not the gym.

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger waldocarmona said…

    gyms are for suckers. Why pay for equipment when you can work out by yourself?? Anyway, planting yourself in front of the tv with potato chips isn't bad if you do it once in awhile. I know some of you do it so don't front!

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    Who's fronting? I work out 3 to 4 times a week, at the gym, where they have high-tech hydraulic resistance machines I could never afford in a million years. I've already lost a few inches off my waistline.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home