themagdalenespirit

My prolific musings on life, faith, and The Box of Life (television)

Friday, July 04, 2008

The Spirit of Mary

I got up early though it's a holiday, just as I do on weekends. I left my alarm on- at least my second alarm. I have one for 4 a.m. which wakes me up to read the Bible and pray. Then I go back to sleep and get up again at 7:28 to get ready for work. I go through my usual beauty rituals and then pick something out of my color-coordinated closet to wear.

Today I had it planned that I would get up and go someplace kind of quiet to spend time with God, a date with God if you will.

So I grabbed these new short pants I have (they are shorts that go down to the knees) then tried to pick out a blouse. Because they are kind of plaid (though not exactly) and the colors are black, pink, withe and light blue, I chose to wear them with this light blue sleeveless blouse and strappy silver heels. I then took off to Starbucks. I ordered a green tea latte (which is sweetened with melon) and a plain bagel. I saw this tumbler which was much smaller than the ones that are usually sold there (or anyplace) and saw that it was marked down from 7.99 to 4.99. When I tried to get it the barista said he couldn't charge me for it, as I guess it wouldn't scan. He said, "This is your lucky day- happy 4th!" I was really excited and took it to be a good sign that God was pleased with my wanting to take Him on a date.

I chose a round table with two seats though they have a lone chair with a larger table that one can use to study and I was carrying a special binder, two Bibles and a book about women in the Bible. But I had to have 2 chairs because I had to feel I was with God.

I read about Mary Magdalene, the special lady I have named my blog after. She was very special to the ministry of Jesus, as she was one of the women who supported it financially. She was also the first person to see the risen Jesus. The things I read were not new to me as I've read them before (in fact have already read the entire Bible and continously re-read from it) but it was encouraging to read about her again. In the book they compared her to Peter and it shows a contrast in that Peter denied Jesus and fled from him in his time of need (arrest, trial and execution) but Mary Magdalene stood by him (as did numerous women).

At the coffee shop an old lady made conversation with me so I invited her to church before she left. She said, "It's nice to see someone reading the Bible."

I couldn't agree more.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    I didn't mention that though it sounds very un-patriotic, I hate the 4th because I hate fireworks- the noise scares me. But I do love to make sure the flag's out on the flagpole. Anyway, because of my fears, I know the rest of the holiday will stink bad so I may as well enjoy the first half!

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    I wanted to take the time, also, to point out I have a new blog and it's interactive. Check it out!

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger lucy4 said…

    Though I am not that churchgoing, I like the idea of having a date with God. In Asian cultures, they celebrate the day that loved one dies and they set up a whole feast for the person. And it was annoying to me because the food would look so good but we had to wait til the deceased ate first. I like your date idea better because it lets you do it on a personal level. I guess on the date, God picked up the check for your tumbler.

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    Yeah, how sporting of Him!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home