themagdalenespirit

My prolific musings on life, faith, and The Box of Life (television)

Monday, December 12, 2005

This Hit Home

I happened to read this article by Jane Jimenez on the Internet and it really struck a chord. I feel constantly attacked as well.

April 25, 2005
From the Supreme Court, to Congress, to state legislatures, faith is under attack in America. Or…more rightly expressed…certain faiths are under attack. People of faith…certain faiths…are being asked to go home…and stay there.
One state leader, questioned by a reporter this month about his faith, admitted the tragic truth. This leader is informed by his faith. He is what he believes.
The reporter went straight for the truth. She asked Mr. Politician if he believed in God, which God, and why. She asked him if he let his religious views affect his political life. With simple candor, Mr. Politician stated he was a Christian and that his political views reflected Judeo-Christian moral values.
You would have thought the sky was falling. The editor slapped a bigger-than-life headline on the interview: Politician Wants to Convert You! And readers responded. A deluge of angry letters denounced this good man.
Culled from their letters, the tirade of invectives is amazing: sanctimonious, supercilious piety, religious bigotry, quasi-Christian cult, extremist, radical fundamentalist mullah, theocratic fascism, chilling, the Crusades, the scariest person, religious dogma, Holocaust denier, neo-Nazi, creationist, astrologer, bigot, dictator, wacko, hell-bent on creating a Nazi-like theocracy, evil intention, theological fanaticism…and finally…duped by his religious fervor, circular logic and disinformation…the Inquisition!
Well, if Christians like Mr. Politician are truly duped by their religious fervor, circular logic and disinformation, they are not the only ones. Overcome by hatred and distrust of Christians, these letter-writers have lost sight of what religion is…a worldview about man’s place in the world related to the universe, the earth, and his fellow man. Everyone has a religious belief. Everyone.
Friedrich Nietzsche had a religious belief. God is dead. Hitler had a religious belief. There is no God. Stalin had a religious belief. From his deathbed, he literally shook his fist to the heavens in defiance of “the god” he didn’t believe in.
I have lived on both sides of the religious fence…without God…and with God. My family and friends represent a wide rainbow of faiths: Yogis, Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Christians, agnostics and atheists. And I can tell you…everyone is informed by their religious point of view. Everyone.
Either deception or cowardice leads those who have a belief in the absence of God to pretend that they can separate their own politics from their religious beliefs. Philosopher Richard Weaver has it right. Ideas do have consequences.
In How Now Shall We Live, Colson and Pearcey expound on Weaver’s statement. “It is the great ideas that inform the mind, fire the imagination, move the heart, and shape a culture. History is little more than the recording of the rise and fall of the great ideas—the worldviews—that form our values and move us to act.”
Consider a small selection from the letters attacking Christian politicians:
-They've found "the superior cultural norms",
-They want to highjack our political future and effectively end the possibility of intelligent political discourse and debate,
-They want to take away my freedom to make decisions for myself…they are telling me what I can and cannot do according to their values, not mine.

One letter writer summed up the offense of being a Christian politician. Mr. Politician was on a righteous quest of cultural change using thought control. Another writer agreed. It is not the right of any particular religious group to assert its moral principles on a society.
Yet, these are the very same people who want to force American society to conform to their own particular faith…the faith that God doesn’t exist, or that if by chance he does exist, he doesn’t care what on earth we do with our lives…or the lives of others. This sincerely held belief is a faith-view, a worldview that informs every action of those who want Christians to leave public life.
And sadly, rather than engage in “intelligent political discourse and debate” about the consequences of political decisions based on their faith-view, they insist on “highjacking the political future” of all Americans by banishing people of other faiths to the stratosphere…most of all, those intolerant, bigoted Christians.
Somehow, the tolerance of this line of thinking escapes me. Had these people held American politics in their tight little fists over the past two hundred years, we would never have benefited from the likes of George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, or Martin Luther King, Jr.
All lawmakers pass laws that reflect their deeply held beliefs…their faith. There is no truth to the idea that a man is divided, that somehow he enters politics and votes for laws that violate his worldview.
Thus, for the benefit of those who will be impacted by the laws that reflect the faith of all lawmakers, please do everyone a big favor. Quit attacking people of other faiths. Spend your time explaining your own faith. And then…please explain the eternal consequences of laws that will reflect your own piety.
Your faith matters, too, if you expect us to vote for you. Make no mistake about it. America is governed by faith. It always has been…and it always will be.

14 Comments:

  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    I think there's a lot of hype about an attack on faith, and it doesn't really exist. There's a faith movement that builds its base by PRETENDING there is.

    I don't criticize people who have faith. I get really pissed of when right wingers use faith to make dangerous public policies. That's all -- no attack on the personal faith. A big attack on the hating and suppression.

    I resent it when my attack on the oppressive forces gets conflated with an attack on faith. It's like being called anti-Semitic for criticizing Israel.

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    I don't think it's non-existant when someone feels it personally. I've had less feelings of being attacked as a woman or a Latino than now as a Christian.

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    Actually, it's like a lot of white people who think that black people are paranoid when they say it's hard being black. This young man was tired of hearing the "griping" from his black friends and became black for a bit (with tanning pills)- this was on Oprah- and he was horrified at the treatment.
    I think to say it's non-existant is not right because first one must walk in these shoes.

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    I don't deny the reality of perception. But your perception doesn't change the dynamics of power or alter my meaning. And the pretending I'm talking about is a way to silence disent and make people like you think the left is out to get you.

    Also, you know more people are out to get you for being a woman and being Latina, right? This is GeorgeBushworld, and the Christian Right is running things.

    In my personal relationship with you, I embrace all that you are. I'll pray with you and everything. But I will not back off from believing the Christian right's influence of public policy in areas of education, health, welfare, etc. must be checked.

    To be sure, my own sense of morality and politics comes from Christianity. My opposition to the death penalty originated in my youthful Catholicism. There's nothing wrong about acknowledging it. But I can't use it as a highground from which to direct all others.

    It's not fair, and fairness is a principle that overrides all others (for me).

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    Actually, I am against most of the policies of the Christian right, as you know. I'm a registered Democrat and everything! But I did not get this perception from the Right, honestly! I got it on my own, from my own experience. But I do see and acknowledge your point especially because as I said, I don't agree w/ the Right on most issues.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    I wanted to mention also that it’s one thing to criticize Israel and another to make anti-Semitic jokes. For me, it’s one thing to hear people vent their fears about having their abortion rights taken away by Christian Right Wing lawmakers/voters but it’s another thing altogether to make jokes about the validity (or lack thereof) of the Bible or to make blanket statements about people who are in organized religions not having any individuality or intelligence—these are all things I’ve seen either in blogs or magazine articles/letters and I’ve seen/heard jokes on TV. I don’t lack humor and I know some stuff might seem funny and a lot of people live for irreverent jokes but I’ve had my intelligence insulted many times SIMPLY BECAUSE OF MY FAITH.

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    So you're talking about people who put down Christians, in this day and age and in this country, for being Chrisians, not for alligning with the radical right?

    I really thought you were talking about people like me who are critical of the Christian right and say so.

    Who are these people? And how are these people more hurtful and powerful than the people putting you down for being a woman and Latina? In this day and age and in this country?

    Respectfully, I don't get it. In fact, I fear that right wing leaders in this country breed hatred and intollerance by tricking their followers into believing they're being attacked and harmed by non Christians or the wrong kinds of Christians.

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    I just wanted to answer the question: Who are these people? As I said, I do not refer to people who are expressing opinions regarding political beliefs- I'm talking about things like jokes that make fun of the validity of the Bible, which I've seen posted and have had emailed to me, or comments I've read about people not having individuality if they belong to organized relgion, or not being intelligent if they buy into faith.
    Also I do not watch Christian TV nor do I read Christian...papers, blogs, anything. All I have to do to see that faith is under attack is read mainstream stuff where anything religious is vilified. That's my point- it has nothing to do with the paranoia or a ploy of the Christian right because I have no idea about that- I don't follow that! It's all been out of my own experience. And there are countless lawsuits, etc. out there where a person of faith is the one that has lost when it comes to things like posting scriptures at the workplace, etc.

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    I see and I still don't get it. Suing a state for imposing a religion is not attacking faith. It's protecting people. I can assure you that the legal briefings in any of those cases do not vilify Christians or their faith. They don't make fun of Christians or impune their intelligence. They make constitutional arguments.

    I don't know about people attacking the validity of the bible. Can't people comment about how, given the time the bible came out, it may miss the point when it comes to women? Can't people comment on the translations or figurative nature of estimates of the age of the earth? It's really old you know. And if my saying so is an attack on your faith, let me know. I'll never mention it again.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    There are plenty of things that are “old”. The Greek philosophers’ writings are old and they considered women stupid (which the Bible does not) and no one EVER makes fun of that or brings that up, and those writings are taught in schools and considered great. That's why when the Bible is attacked it feels like it's strictly about the faith.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    PS- I am not trying to counter-attack you or anything (Kathy)- I think you’re a warm, sweet, intelligent, informed woman who I admire. But as I said, this is my perception of things and I think people just don’t realize it. Supposedly we are protecting people’s rights when it comes to the cases I mentioned but what about my rights as a Christian? My Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion? Those rights come second now to people whose feelings get hurt. Well my feelings get hurt too. That’s all.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    Classics scholars as well as biblical scholars need to be questioning all sorts of outdated conventions in their work. Like slavery and mysogeny. If they don't they're dumb.

    Also, femisist scholars would differ with you so big on your belief that the bible is free of ideas that wome are inferior to men.

    Finally, check out today's (11/14/05) Fresh Air with Terry Gross. Her guest is Bar Ehrman, who wrote, MISQUOTING JESUS. He asks the good question, what if God didn't say it. You know, given all the scribin' and different versions and translations out there.

    and ps -- why have I so much to say on this? I don't know. You know I admire you too, right?

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    Yes, I do. I'm sure certain small items might be misquotes but I think that big, important general ideas are not or I should say I BELIEVE they are inspired by God.

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    Sorry I couldn't type and spell in my last comment. Who's a dummy now?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home