themagdalenespirit

My prolific musings on life, faith, and The Box of Life (television)

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Preferences

Ok, so I tried to listen to TWANG, AccuRadio's alternative country Internet station but it got too embarassing (not to mention I wasn't digging it myself very much) so I went back to my own pre-programmed Launchcast station. I've heard (as per usual) a lot of Stereolab, Portishead (and the like- Amon Tobin, Hooverphonic, Theivery Coorporation, Goldfrapp, Morsheeba, Massive Attack), and Suzanne Vega in the last two days, as well as Rosa Passos, Dee Dee Bridgwater and Vanessa Daou. Yesterday I heard Stereo Total's version of "Push It" (Salt N Peppa) and the Metallica classic "For Whom The Bell Tolls" as redone by a goth-rock group. They skipped the singing. Interesting.

The station goes through "phases" as it goes through my programming and it tries to also play stuff within that genre that I might like. (For example, they might play Slumber Party because "fans of Talulah Gosh recommend this".) But as it goes through stuff it's kind of annoying that it gets stuck on one genre- I get tired of it. For example, the first time I programmed the station I had no idea how it actually worked and because I gave some trance tune a good rating, it kept playing all this trance crap that I did not like at all. So you have to be careful. You have to program A LOT of artists and BAN a lot of stuff or your free minutes will be used up by the likes of Rage Against the Machine (just because you made the mistake of qualifying Metal as a favorite genre.)

Today I got some Cuban Jazz which was cool. I don't mind at all. (I had programmed it to play jazz but got ticked off when I got a lot of crazy THE WAVE type junk.)

At the moment I'm basking in the glow of good music and trying not to think about the bus ride home later...or the fact that I am fasting from TV for spiritual reasons (as opposed to food since I have to eat due to all the meds I take). This could be hard for someone like me! (Though I've done it before- for a month, even!) Ooh- they're playing Latin Jazz, Baden Powell- "Canto De Ossanha". NICE!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger RV3 said…

    I'm back!!! I love that couch potato. I would also add Suzanne Vega to the list of artists I would have on an internet personal playlist...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home