themagdalenespirit

My prolific musings on life, faith, and The Box of Life (television)

Monday, October 17, 2005

This One Goes Out to Willie Nelson

Today marks my fist day back on public transportation. As to be expected, the bus was late. Thanks a lot, Foothill Transit! Anyway, I also had to yell, “Stop, stop, stop!” because even though I rang the little bell, the bus driver still decided to not stop at my stop. The birthday present I had for my co-worker got wet (the bag torn). But all is not bad. First of all, I drove my brother’s van to the doctor’s yesterday, suspecting my sinus infection had turned into an ear infection. Well, luckily, it hasn’t. I just have discomfort because I have too much backed up…er, mucus…and they prescribed a powerful decongestant to get rid of it all. I took my prescription to Sav-On and had a look-see around while I waited. I haven’t shopped in ages. Got some eyebrow liners- two-for-one!

Friday night I went out with Walter, who was here for his mom’s 50th birthday bash. He wanted me to be his date but I actually didn’t go to the party, just out with him on Friday night. We went to Little Pedro’s, where there was a swing band playing we didn’t anticipate, then to Vermont, which was dead, and finally ended up at Akbar, where I am always swarmed by men. Yes, I am. I know they’re gay. But they love me, darnit! One even asked for my number, which always happens as well. I got to drive Walter’s PT Cruiser (rental) to West Hollywood to pick up his friend who then drove me back home as Walter was too tipsy. So tipsy, in fact, we had to stop for him to pee. On the freeway.

Last night the two cats were actually in bed with me. They finally tolerate each other. Or, Hermes finally tolerates Mikey, I should say. They purred like crazy and I hardly slept what with them and the thunderclaps that would send Hermes flying out of the bed and out into the hallway.

Saturday night I had an awesome prayer. I had not had one in ages. I cried out to God and somewhere in there the business of the car got mentioned. I said, “I don’t know how and I don’t know when, but I know You can get me a car just as You did before.” The next day I talked to Lydia who I hadn’t talked to in ages and she said she might be selling her Honda and if so, I’ll be the first to know. Yippee! I love quick answers to prayers.

Finally, something really strange is happening to me. Before you blame living in the suburbs, or worse, blame being a Christian (you know, all that right-wing red state garbage I always have to hear about), I know that it’s nothing to do with either. But I am starting to want to listen to country music. It all started on Saturday, as I recovered from Friday and there was nothing on. Well, I’m a sucker for countdowns and I have sat through “100 Best Movie Lines of All Time” even though I don’t watch movies, “Scariest Moments in Horror” though I would not watch a horror flick if you paid me (and I didn’t watch the whole countdown- it got way too scary) so when I saw that “100 Greatest Country Duets” was on I decided to give it a go. What surprised me was the conviction used by commentators on how “that was the most moving song ever” and “it changed my life” and all that. Also, some of those commenting were very unlikely country fans- even “Queer Eye”’s Carson Kressley. Some of the duets included Ray Charles and Al Green, Elvis Costello and Jack White. Now, don’t get me wrong- I hate twangy crap. I mean, I detest crossover artists like Shania Twain. It’s annoying to turn on the radio and hear something twangy. But I would MUCH rather listen to real old hardcore country like freaking Hank Williams than Ms Twain. Yessir! But really it’s all to do with the fact that I appreciate good songwriting. I love singer-songwriters (Suzanne Vega, especially) and I guess country is one step away from that or vice versa. Yes, there are tons of crap country songs that are really just twangy pop songs, so they are in no way deep or relevant. But some of the songs are quite moving, if you can get past the fact that you’re listening to freaking country! I still sort of can’t but I’m willing to try. God help me.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:01 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    You kept Mikey!

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    Yes, I kept him- I couldn't NOT keep him with all his purring and following me around like a dog (he has NO feline dignity whatsoever; no wonder he disgusts Hermes) and his little face-downcast-eyes-tentatively-blinking-up-at-me "love me" look.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home