themagdalenespirit

My prolific musings on life, faith, and The Box of Life (television)

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll!

Wow! That was a strong quake. What's weird is I was just talking about earthquakes with friends this weekend, all the while thinking to myself, "We're due for one any moment now." I was in Phoenix and we had this 100-degree heat at 9 pm and there was a hot wind blowing, then there was rain and lightning so I thought, "This is what Southern Californians call 'earthquake weather'." That was Frinday night. Sunday on the trip back (by the way, we almost ran out of gas and the other passenger with me was a little on the hysterical side about the whole thing but I found it funny myself) we talked about research someone has done on the spike in lost and missing pets during earthquakes. So that was a whole other conversation about quakes.

Speaking of which, Mr. Julie is missing. It's not unusual for him to be missing during the day as he is usually asleep but would he sleep through such a strong earthquake? Or did he get up and go before it even hit? It took place at 11:42 am Pacific Standard Time. Chino Hills, the epicenter, is quite close to where I live. I know people who live there- people from church. Needless to say a lot of prayers are going out right now. It doesn't seem like there's any damage, though. Maybe we've managed to construct everything to earthquake-ready safety because there aren't reports of deaths or anything horrible.

Maybe, if he's gone missing, Mr. Julie will be one of the few casualties. I hope not! I did lose a lamp to the quake, but it was for show- not electric but one you'd use with candles. By the way, that's why I don't use candles though I love the soft glow. I'm always scared that if there's an earthquake they'll all topple and I'll burn to a crisp. (I'm quite flammable, what with my many lotions and perfumes and hair products!!)

4 Comments:

  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    I just felt an aftershock! It was a one-second JOLT.

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger lucy4 said…

    Here instead of earthquake drills in school, we have tornado drills. Besides the destructive side of them, I enjoyed an earthquake once in a while when I was living there.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger RV3 said…

    Girl!!! As soon I got home from work today (an hour after the quake) I had to have a beer! It totally relaxed me....

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    Well, I did feel like having some wine but because my sinusitis is acting up I didn't- I might have to take Advil like I did last night when I had a migrane. By the way, everyone- Mr. Julie is back!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home