themagdalenespirit

My prolific musings on life, faith, and The Box of Life (television)

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Two Heads are Better than One

A friend of mine called me today and prayed with me over the phone. It was really helpful as I have not been able to do that- pray with someone- in a long time. I was really grateful for the time she took out for me, to see how I was doing in general and spiritually.

I'm supposed to have lunch with Lucy and Rocio tomorrow so hopefully I'll be up to it. I haven't seen either of them in a while and it would be nice. We always have a lot of laughs.

I was just reading in a (fictional) book how friendships can be as exciting, if they're deep enough, as love. The Bible speaks of the bond between two good friends as being even closer than that of siblings. In this book, the heroine flies from London to L.A. to meet this guy and quickly gets bored when he's at work and she's left with nothing to do but she meets a woman who is also from London and they bond instantly. She makes the remark that sometimes even with a stranger you just know you will become great friends and that we're all looking for a soulmate and that ideally it'll be a man but that it can happen with a friend. I've had that happen- met soulmates who are not romantic interests but people to bond with, have fun with and rely on during tough times. Confidantes and supporters, champions of your cause. In another book, I read about a girl and her best friend who unfortunately contracts HIV and how she takes his abuse one day when he is totally drunk (as a result of being scared to death) and she's willing to stick by him no matter what because that's what friends are for. In the end, he's helped her discover some things about herself and he's grateful for her true love.

And of course we all know the most lasting love relationships are those that are between two lovers who are most of all best of friends.

Sometimes, however, just like with romance, there might be a breakdown of the relationship between two pals. I had someone accuse me of lying when I wasn't and this killed the friendship. I didn't feel comfortable talking to this person all the time as I once had. How could she doubt me? But I forgave her and called her up and we talked for a long time as before but the next time I called and left a message I got no response. Maybe she got busy and I should have tried again but I sort of realized perhaps she STILL doubts me and so for her it's better not to be close to me. I felt crappy about that because I had gotten past the hurt she caused me but what can you do? I hope she's well but I guess we will not be confidantes who trust each other ever again. Other friends are more like acquiantances because you can never get too deep with them. Either they're not on the same page or they don't even want to try to be.

But the woman who phoned me today told me that she was here for me and she would listen, and she said "that's what friends are for". I couldn't agree more. When times are rough I know I can rely on family and most of all God but the love and support of a good friend is priceless.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home