themagdalenespirit

My prolific musings on life, faith, and The Box of Life (television)

Thursday, November 03, 2005

A New Me

One of the teachers I work with told me she just cut her bangs. It reminded me of how when I was a little girl I desperately wanted Dorothy Hamill haircut (why? why?) and no one would give it to me. I didn't understand that it was because I had very curly hair and it was not the type that could support DH cut. Actually, neither can my face 'cause even if someone had straightened my hair I would have looked stupid with that dang bowl cut.

I want a make-over still. I want an expert to assess me and tell me what I need to change and bring out the best in me. There's two chick lit books I read where the heroine gets a make-over and it's very dramatic but one is more realistic than the other (consequently is a much better read).

In the first, "The Go-To Girl", a tall but flabby but huge-chested but big-nosed woman is trying to be as invisible as possible by wearing unflattering clothes and not trying to stand out and thus draw attention to her many flaws. It doesn't help that her roommates are models. In the other book, "Jemima J" a fat woman who writes for a newspaper (a silly column where she gives tips) and is desperately in love with a colleague. She too has very pretty (though not classy) roommates who lord it over her. In both books the women change- in the firs she simply gets a make-over that accentuates the best in her and is actually surprised how good she looks. She's no beuaty queen but she's no longer ackward and hideous. In the other book the woman loses tons of weight and- surprise!- she's gorgeous. Of COURSE. She ends up with gorgeous colleague who always treated her like a human being even when she was fat.

I want to see if like in the first book my best assets can be somehow brought out so my flaws are no longer so visible. I need a faerie godmother. That should be easy- I know tons of faeries.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    I hate you.

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger waldocarmona said…

    what about looking inward instead of outside? I am sure that there are many things one can change which don't involve the superficial features.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    I've BEEN working on that for ages. That's one of the reasons I became a Christian. But I want to look my best as the world judges on looks.

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger waldocarmona said…

    try harder!!!!

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger Spleengrrl said…

    Ok what are you trying to say???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home